Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tropicalization

Tropicalization seems to be a buzz word for us here in Ghana, referring to our ability to adapt to the new surroundings.  It has been used in a variety of contexts: first, getting over the initial jet lag; adjusting to the hot temperatures and the mosquitoes; becoming familiar with the local foods and not suffering from "runny stomachs" as they call them (luckily, Jamie and I have been runny-stomach-free).  I think for us, the past two weeks have been a lesson in tropicalizing to the lack of electricity at the house.

Like I said before, I thought we were doing a pretty good job.  But this past weekend, we decided to escape for a couple days and traveled down to Kokrobite Beach, where some friends of ours were performing at a guest house.  We stayed for two nights, and enjoyed the change of pace from our daily light-less routines at the school.  There was a beautiful beach just outside, music at night, and lots of fellow obrunis walking around. We were able to actually able to stay up way past sundown and sleep under a fan at night (I had forgotten how nice that was).  I also managed to get a little sunburned after falling asleep in the sun on Saturday afternoon, further proof that I'm not fully "tropicalized". All in all, it was fantastic: we got to stop "fitting in with the community" and just be tourists for a couple days.

Now we're back in Community 25, still without electricity.  Most evenings after sundown (around 6:30pm), I go out to one of the classrooms that's lit with solar panels (pretty awesome) and read, while some of the JHS (middle school) are studying and doing their homework.  I'm currently about 400 pages into Acts of Faith, a novel about various individuals working in one region in present-day Sudan. For those who haven't read it -- I would highly recommend it.  Mark & Linda -- thank you for such a wonderful graduation present! Anyways, besides reading for a while every night, eating dinner, and taking a quick bucket shower, Jamie and I recently invested in a small battery-operated radio so that we can crank some tunes before falling asleep.  With that luxury, we don't even mind being in the dark!

Because many have asked, electricity is supposed to be returned "soon".  Almost every day, the headmaster says "tomorrow," but Jamie and I have learned not to get our hopes up, at least, not too much. I promise to update as soon as we DO have electricity... but until then... you can safely assume that we don't.

1 comment:

  1. You have a typo... "we were able to actually able to stay up..." Unless the redundancy is meant for emphasis. Anyway, I miss you. While you're over there sun bathing and sleeping under a mosquito net, I'm sitting here in a crowded Starbucks surrounded by Burberry scarves and ringing iPhones desperately attempting to find a job. I'll trade you?

    ReplyDelete