Friday, September 10, 2010

The Best Laid Plans...

Hi everyone! My first update from Ghana is coming to you from Accra Mall, on the outskirts of the capital.  Jamie and I are here at the internet cafe and are about to spend the day in the city checking out the Eid festivals (the end of Ramadan).  I've now been in Ghana for a week (as of 7:30 this morning) and am loving it.  The adjustment has been pretty easy, with a few small snafoos:
  • Jamie got stuck in traffic last Thursday, and missed our flight.  So instead of us arriving together, I had a 4 day weekend alone before her arrival this Tuesday.
  • My ATM card doesn't work at the Barclay's because it's not a debit card. Dad, I fully blame you for always picking credit over debit (just kidding). But I am going to have to figure out the most cost effective way to get money, because I don't want to be charged everytime I use a Standard Chartered.
  • We (Jamie and I) keep failing to get the internet set up at our house. First, the Zain office in Tema was out of modems. Now that we're in Accra, we can't access the money WPE wired us for it because of Eid.
But all in all, like I said, the adjustment has been pretty easy. I'm learning to navigate the transportation system (waving down tro-tros), learning my way around Community 25 (the neighborhood where I'm living), and slowly adjusting to the heat and humidity.  For a comparison... it's like Atlanta in August, without the air conditioning. I also have a cell phone here, and I welcome all texts and phone calls (since I don't have to pay for them!) My number is +233 26 841 4265 if you ever want to say hi.

My time is running low, so I'll say bye for now.  I hope everyone is doing well and that the Labor Day weekend was fun.  Hopefully the next time I write I will be sitting in my room at Manye using our Zain 3G... but as you know, the best laid plans...

1 comment:

  1. You are a natural blogger, my friend. This one even had a theme... wonderful. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete